By Obaloluwa Joshua, LAGOS
Ampem Darkoa of Ghana have won the 2023 edition of WAFU B Women’s Championship.
The Ghanaian champions defeated Delta Queens of Nigeria 1-0 in the final of the competition at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, Benin City on Thursday.
Ophelia Amponsah netted the decisive goal three minutes before the break.
Delta Queens fought hard to get back into the game in the second half but failed to break down Ampem Darkoa’s defence.
Ampem Darkoa will represent the zone in the CAF Women’s Champions League later in the year.
It will be the first time the Ghanaians will be playing in the competition.
- BREAKING: Falcons force Lionesses to barren draw in Paris Olympics qualifier
- Paciencia rescues vital point for Angola against Algeria
- Osimhen, Yusuf benched as Eagles return to training
- Sporting Lagos’ winless streak continues with 2-2 draw against Shooting Stars
- AFCON 2023: Guinea hold Cameroon with 10 men
Nigeria missed out on a place in the CAF Women’s Champions League for the first time since the competition started three years ago.
Rivers Angels represented the country at the inaugural edition, while Bayelsa Queens finished third at the last edition.